Hormones of the Testes
The Location and Function of the Testes
- There are 2 testes, that are oval shaped and located behind the penis within the scrotum
- Each testis (plural) has an attachment, which is a thin cord named the spermatic cord.
- The spermatic cord of the testes has a number of nerves and blood vessels
- The testes are located on the outside of the body.
- The testes have two functions – to produce sperm and to produce hormones, particularly testosterone.
- The pituitary gland and the hypothalamus work to control the production of male hormones.
- Luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) which are made by the pituitary gland, are important messenger hormones which act on the testes.