The Location and Function of the Pancreas Gland
- The pancreas gland is a sizeable gland that is positioned alongside the stomach
- The pancreas is approximately 15 cm long
- The location of the pancreas is deep within the abdomen, in between the stomach and the spine. The pancreas is also connected to the duodenum (a part of the small intestine)
- The function of the pancreas is to assist with the digestion of food, alongside producing hormones which will regulate the body’s energy levels.
- The pancreas is considered to be both an endocrine (secretes hormones into the blood) and exocrine gland (secretes enzymes by way of ducts). The islets of langerhans are the cells making up the endocrine pancreas.
Released by the â€˜beta cellsâ€™ in the islets of LangerhansÂ Released by the â€˜alpha cellsâ€™ in the islets of LangerhansÂ